Creative Cloud Updating Error Exit Code 145

The Joys of Creative Cloud Updating Error Exit Code 145

I recently had the misfortune to encounter this error code when I had five CC apps that needed updating. I updated one last thing at night and decided to leave the rest until morning.

That is when all the fun started! Everything I tried to update threw up this “Creative Cloud Updating Error Exit Code 145” issue. I did eventually find something in the Adobe forum that addresses this issue but the “cure” that they have listed as “Correct” is a huge PITA.

So read on and see if you can avoid this nightmare of uninstalling absolutely everything Creative Cloud connected and then having to reinstall from the ground up.

The main part of the issue seems to be that the update is denied access to the target folder. A simple rename should be sufficient to let the updater create a new folder but oh no. Nothing of the sort. Everything I tried to do to resulted in “Access Denied” even though I was in as an administrator and all permissions were granted.

So before you try Adobe’s fix take a look and see if you have the same quirk that I did.

  1. Navigate to the folder that is refusing to be updated.
  2. Right click on the folder and select “Properties.”
  3. Click on the “Security” tab.
  4. Click on “Advanced.”

Once you get that far take a look at where it says “Owner.” What you should see is yourself logged in as an administrator or some such variation. What I saw was an “Unable to display current owner” message. I did more research and found all sorts of useless information that did not fix the issue and get the correct ownership displayed.

For those of you who have ever watched the IT Crowd TV show they are are forever asking users calling in “Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?” So…. I thought “What the hell!”

I turned it off (rebooted!) and turned it back on again.

The owner issue was gone and the updates installed correctly.

So before uninstalling everything try a reboot. I can’t promise it will work for you but this error (at least for me) seems to be tied to a Windows 10 issue rather than an Adobe one and the reboot resolved it.

Just in case it doesn’t work for you then the last resort Adobe thread can be found here.

 

 

Disclosure: Triquetra Design is a website that features professional articles and/or reviews. As such I may receive compensation from the companies whose products I review or from companies that advertise here.

Leave a Reply

1 + 10 =

Select Language